The Covenant College Philosophy Club is pleased to announce the second annual Apostolos Essay Contest.
We are seeking short essays (750-1000 words) presenting an argument for a philosophically interesting thesis. The goal is to challenge students to write with clarity and brevity without sacrificing quality of argument. Essay topics do not have to be within the confines of traditional philosophy. Authors of the top four essays will each receive a prize (see below for clarification).
Official Contest Rules
- Important dates:
- April 14 — Submission deadline (essays will be accepted until 11:59 PM EST).
- April 15 — Announcement of finalists.
- Prizes: Three winners will be selected by a voting process. The first place winner will receive a $45 “Meal Voucher” prize.
- Winner is entitled to be reimbursed for up to $45 worth of food.
- Reimbursement form and receipt must be submitted by April 27 in order to receive reimbursement.
- Covenant College Philosophy Club is not responsible for reimbursing any money if the proper form is not submitted on time.
- Any words over the 1,000 word limit will be cut off.
- The first sentence of the essay should be your thesis statement.
- Email essays as attachments, in either Word or PDF format, to Program Chair Sarah Withers (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “Essay Contest Submission.”
- Prepare essay for blind review by removing any identifying information from the document, like your name, your school’s name, a reference to a particular class, etc.
- Any person without a graduate degree is eligible to enter.
- All finalist essays will be published on the Apostolos website.